UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023: NTA provides opportunities to make a career in Public Administration through UGC NET Public Administration Exam.
It gives job options for the profile of Assistant Professor and JRF (Junior Research Fellowship) in various reputed universities and institutions.
To prepare for the Public Administration NET exam, you must know the complete NTA UGC NET Syllabus 2023 for Public Administration.
Here we have provided the latest UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023 in Hindi and English.
UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023
National Testing Agency (NTA) releases the UGC NET syllabus along with the latest notification.
However, since the UGC NET syllabus for both paper-I and -II was revised by NTA in June 2019, no changes are likely to be made to this year’s NET syllabus.
The subject code for UGC NET Public Administration is 14. It comprises two online papers namely Paper-I & Paper-II with Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)s.
UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus For Paper I 2023
UGC NET Syllabus for Public Administration Paper I tests the reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness of the candidate.
UGC NET Public Administration Paper I syllabus will have 50 questions worth 100 marks. The Paper I syllabus has 10 units, and precisely 5 questions will be asked from each unit.
Go through the exam pattern of the UGC NET Public Administration Paper 1 syllabus mentioned below:
|Part I: Teaching Aptitude||5||10|
|Part II: Research Aptitude||5||10|
|Part III: Reading Comprehension||5||10|
|Part IV: Communication||5||10|
|Part V: Reasoning (including Maths)||5||10|
|Part VI: Logical Reasoning||5||10|
|Part VII: Data Interpretation||5||10|
|Part VIII: Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||5||10|
|Part IX: People & Environment||5||10|
|Part X: Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||5||10|
UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus For Paper II 2023 In English
Here you can check the latest UGC NET Syllabus For Public Administration Paper-II 22 for English Medium.
- Introduction to Public Administration: Public Administration– Meaning, Nature, Scope & Significance; Evolution and Present Status of the Discipline; Politics- Administration Dichotomy; Globalization and Public Administration; Paradigm shift from Government to Governance.
- Principles of Organization: Division of work; Hierarchy; Coordination; Unity of Command; Span of Control; Authority, Power and Responsibility; Delegation, Centralization and Decentralization; Line, Staff and Auxiliary Agencies; Leadership and Supervision; Decision-making and Communication.
- Meaning, Nature and Scope of Personnel Administration: Classification, Recruitment, Training, Promotion, Compensation and service conditions, Discipline, Civil Service Neutrality, Anonymity and Commitment, Professional Associations and Unionism.
- Administrative Thought: Approaches to the study of Public Administration: Oriental – Kautilya; Classical – F W Taylor, Henri Fayol, Max Weber, Luther Gulick and Lyndall Urwick ; Human Relations – Elton Mayo, Mary Parker Follett; Behaviouralism – Chester Barnard, Herbert Simon; Motivation – Abraham Maslow, Fredrick Herzberg, Douglas McGregor; Organizational Humanism – Chris Argyris, Rensis Likert; Writers on Administration: Dwight Waldo, Ferrel Heady, Robert Golembiewski and Peter Drucker; Minnobrook Perspective, New Public Service and Post Modernism.
- Indian Administration: Evolution – Ancient, Mughal and British Periods; Constitutional Framework: Parliamentary and Federal Features. Union Government: President; Prime Minister & Council of Ministers; Cabinet Committees; Central Secretariat; Cabinet Secretariat; and Prime Minister Office. Election Commission and Electoral Reforms, Union State Relations.
- Accountability: Legislative; Executive; and Judicial. Citizen Grievance Redressal Mechanism: Lok Pal; Lok Ayukta; Central Vigilance Commission and Regulatory Authorities. Issue Areas: Politician and Civil Servant relations, Generalists and Specialists debate and Combating Corruption. Civil Services: Classification – All India Services, Central Services and State Services; Recruitment Agencies – Union Public Service Commission, State Public Service Commissions and other Commissions and Boards: Capacity Building of Civil Servants and Civil Service Reforms.
- Planning: Planning Commission, National Development Council, NITI Aayog, State Planning Commissions / Boards and Planning Departments.
- Judiciary: Indian Constitution and Independence of Judiciary: Supreme Court; High Courts; Judicial Review and Public Interest Litigation and Judicial Reforms. Police Administration and Reforms. E- Governance Initiatives in Indian administration.
- State & Local Administration: Constitutional Framework of State Administration – State Legislature; Governor – Role and Functions; Chief Minister – Powers and Functions; Council of Ministers; Role and Functions of Chief Secretary; State Secretariat ; Directorates and Commissionerate; District Administration – Concept and Evolution, District Collector – Power, Functions and Changing role; Autonomous District Councils – Structure, Powers and Functions, District Rural Development Agency; Evolution of Local Governance in India.
- Local Governance: 73rd & 74th Constitutional Amendment Acts: State Election Commission ; State Finance Commission; District Planning Committee; Rural Governance – Gram Sabha, Gram Panchayats, Panchayat Samitis and Zila Parishads, Finance in PRIs, Personnel administration at local level; Policies and Programmes of Rural Development – MGNAREGA.
- Growth of Urbanization, Urban Governance – Structure, Composition, Functions of Municipal Corporations, Municipal Councils, Nagar Panchayats and Metropolitan Governance – Sources of Finance; Personnel Administration. Reforms in Urban Governance -Solid Waste Management, Smart and AMRUT cities
- Comparative and Development Administration: Comparative Public Administration: Concept, Nature, Scope and Significance of Comparative Public Administration; Public Administration and its Environment. Approaches and Methods to the study of Comparative Administration: Institutional, Behavioural, Structural-Functional, Ecological and Systems Approaches.Fred Riggs’s Typology of Societies and Features; Problems of Comparative Research; Comparative Studies –Influence of Globalization; Salient Features of the administrative systems of UK, USA, France and Japan.
- Development Administration: Development and its Dimensions. Development and Modernization; Approaches to Development – Sustainable Development and Anti-Development; Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Development Administration: Concept, Nature, Scope, Objectives, Features and Significance; Ecology of Development Administration, Contribution of Fred Riggs, Dwight Waldo and Edward Widener; Role of Bureaucracy in Development. Globalization and Development Administration; Emergence of Non-State actors in Development Administration; Public-Private Partnerships; Corporate Social Responsibility, Human Development Indicators and Social Audit.
- Economic and Financial Administration: Economic Policies – Mixed Economy to Liberalization, Privatization and Globalization (LPG); New Economic Policy (NEP); Industrial Policy since Independence; Government in Business – Public Enterprises-Concept, Growth and Forms of Public Enterprises; Management, Problem of Accountability and Autonomy; Disinvestment Policies.
- Financial Administration: Public Finance – Revenue and Expenditure: Nature, Scope and Significance of Financial Administration; Budget – Meaning, Purpose and Significance; Budgetary Process – preparation, enactment and execution; Types of Budget – PPBS, Performance Budget, Zero-Based Budget and Gender Budget; Fiscal Responsibility and Budget Management Act (FRBMA) and Sunset legislation. Fiscal Federalism – Union-State Financial Relations, Finance Commission. Financial Control-Legislature and Executive; Parliamentary Committees and Comptroller and Auditor General of India. Taxation policies – Principles of Taxation –Progressive and Proportional taxation – Reforms in Taxation policies.
- Social Welfare Administration: Concept of Social Welfare, Social Justice and Social Change; Concept of Equity and Inclusiveness in Social Justice; Concept of Affirmative action-Reservations; Institutional arrangement for Social Welfare & Social Justice Administration; NGOs, Civil Societies and Voluntary Agencies; Policies, Programmes and Institutional Framework for the Protection and Welfare of SCs/ STs / OBCs/ Women/ Children, Aged, Differently-abled (Divyang) and Minorities Commissions –Women, SC/ST, Minority- Role and Functions.
- Disaster Management – Nature and Types of Disaster; Institutional Arrangements for Disaster Management; Role of State and Non-State actors.
- Public Policy: Nature, Scope and Importance of Public Policy; Evolution of Public Policy and Policy Sciences; Public Policy and Public Administration. Approaches to Public Policy – Process Approach, Logical Positivism, Phenomenological Approach, Participatory and Normative Approaches.
- Theories and Models of Policy Making – Harold Lasswell, Charles Lindblom, Yehezkel Dror .
Institutions of Policy Making – Legislature, Executive and Judiciary. Types of Policy Analysis – Empirical, Normative, Retrospective and Prospective, Prescriptive and Descriptive. Policy Implementation, Outcomes and Evaluation.
- Constraints on Public Policy – Socio-economic, Political, Institutional and Cultural. Role of Media, Public Opinion, Civil Society and Pressure Groups on Policy Making.
- Governance and Good Governance: Ancient Discourse – Kautilya, Plato and Aristotle on Good Governance; Elements and Forms of Good Governance; Theories and Concepts of Governance – World Bank and UNDP; State, Market and Civil Society, Public Choice Theory, New Public Management, Public Value Theory, Governance as Theory, Governance and Public Governance.
- Networking and Collaborative Governance, Business Process Re-engineering, ICT and Governance – e-Government and e-Governance, e-Readiness and Digital Divide.
Accountability, Openness and Transparency; Gender and Governance.
- Citizen and Governance: Civil Society – Role and Limitations, Citizen Participation, Right to Information – RTI Act and Administrative Reforms, National Information Commission, Citizen Charter – Concept, Objectives and Significance.
- Ethics and Public Accountability in Governance: Rule of Law and Administrative Law, Delegated Legislation and Administrative Adjudication. Ethical Foundations of Governance: Constitutional Values, Family, Society and Education.
- Research Methodology: Social Science Research- Meaning and Significance; Distinction between Methodology and Method; Facts and Values in Research; Role of Research in Theory-Building; Scientific Method; Objectivity in Social Research; Types of Research; Identification of Research Problem; Hypotheses and Null-Hypotheses; Validation of Hypothesis; Research Design; Methods of Data Collection- Primary and Secondary sources- ( Observation; Questionnaire and Interview, Use of Library and Internet); Sampling and Sampling Techniques; Scales of Measurement; Analysis of Data and Use of Computers in Social Science Research-SPSS; Citation patterns and Ethics of Research; Bibliography; Report Writing.
UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus For Paper II 2023 In Hindi
Here you can check some important topics of the UGC NET Syllabus For Public Administration Paper-II 22 In Hindi.
Here you can check the latest NTA NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023 for Paper II in Hindi Medium:
UGC NET Public Administration Old Syllabus
The UGC NET examination old syllabus which was applicable till December 2018 can be downloaded in pdf format from the following link.
Kindly note that this syllabus is considered outdated and now it is not applicable for the upcoming UGC NET examination in Public Administration.
You can use it only for your reference purpose.
Other Important Study Materials for UGC NET Public Administration
You should have the following study materials to boost your exam preparation for the NTA UGC NET Public Administration Exam.
Click on the link to access other important notes related to the UGC NET Public Administration Exam.
UGC NET Public Administration Exam Pattern 2023
UGC NET Public Administration Exam has two papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Here you can know the facts about UGC NET Public Administration Exam 2023
|Particulars||UGC NET Paper-I Overview||
UGC NET Paper-II Overview
|Exam duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Type of paper||Common for all candidates||Subject-specific questions|
|Type of questions||MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option||
MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option
|Marking scheme||2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
|Language of paper||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
Important Points About UGC NET Public Administration Exam Pattern:
- The Test will have two papers. Both papers will consist of objective-type, multiple-choice questions.
- There will be no break between papers.
- you will get 2 marks for each correct response,
- There is no negative marking for an incorrect response.
- No marks will be given for questions Unanswered.
Benefits Of the Latest NTA UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023
Understanding the UGC NET Public Administration syllabus assists you to plan preparation strategies and knowledge about the chapters that need to be focused on more.
UGC NET Public Administration syllabus gives a clear idea of the actual question paper pattern so that you can be well-prepared for the exams & score good marks.
The subject experts create the syllabus in a simple language that enables you to understand the concepts easily.
- NTA UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023 is a well-constructed studying tool.
- The syllabus PDF includes the complete course structure along with the marks weightage for every chapter.
- NTA UGC NET Public Administration syllabus enables you to understand the concepts to score high marks in the examination.
- NTA UGC NET Public Administration syllabus assists you to prepare effectively for your UGC NET exams to not skip any important chapters.
We have covered the detailed guide on NTA UGC NET Public Administration Syllabus 2023. Feel free to ask us any questions in the comment section below.