UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023: National Eligibility Test known as UGC NET is conducted twice a year for the selection of deserving candidates for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in Indian Govt. Universities and Colleges.
To prepare for the Library and Information Science NET exam, you must know the complete NTA UGC NET Syllabus 2023 for Library and Information Science.
Here we have provided the latest UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023 in Hindi and English.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023
National Testing Agency (NTA) releases the UGC NET syllabus along with the latest notification.
However, since the UGC NET syllabus for both paper-I and -II was revised by NTA in June 2019, no changes are likely to be made to this year’s NET syllabus.
The subject code for UGC NET Library and Information Science is 59. It comprises two online papers namely Paper-I & Paper-II with Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)s.
- UGC NET Library and Information Science Paper 1 Syllabus tests teaching and reasoning ability, research aptitude, comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness.
- UGC NET Library and Information Science Paper 2 Syllabus is based on Library and Information Science. It tests your depth of knowledge and expertise in the respective subject.
To crack the NET exam, you must know the syllabus for both the papers and mark the important topics & sub-topics to start your preparation.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Paper I 2023
UGC NET Syllabus for Library and Information Science Paper I tests the reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness of the candidate.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Paper I syllabus will have 50 questions worth 100 marks. The Paper I syllabus has 10 units, and precisely 5 questions will be asked from each unit.
Go through the exam pattern of the UGC NET Library and Information Science Paper 1 syllabus mentioned below:
|Part I: Teaching Aptitude||5||10|
|Part II: Research Aptitude||5||10|
|Part III: Reading Comprehension||5||10|
|Part IV: Communication||5||10|
|Part V: Reasoning (including Maths)||5||10|
|Part VI: Logical Reasoning||5||10|
|Part VII: Data Interpretation||5||10|
|Part VIII: Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||5||10|
|Part IX: People & Environment||5||10|
|Part X: Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||5||10|
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Paper II 2023 In English
Here you can check the latest UGC NET Syllabus For Library and Information Science Paper-II 22 for English Medium.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – I
- Data, Information, Knowledge and Wisdom.
- Information Life Cycle – Generation, Collection, Storage and Dissemination.
- Role of Information in Planning, Management, Socio-economic, Cultural, Educational and Technological Development.
- Information Science – Relationship with other subjects, Information Society and Knowledge Society.
- Communication – Concept, Types, Theories, Models, Channels and Barriers; Trends in Scholarly Communication.
- Information Industry – Generators, Providers and Intermediaries.
- IPR and Legal Issues – Categories, Conventions, Treaties, Laws.
- Plagiarism: Concept and Types.
- Right to Information Act (RTI); Information Technology Act.
- National Knowledge Commission; National Mission on Libraries.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – II
- Historical Development of Libraries in India; Committees and Commissions on Libraries in India.
- Types of Libraries – Academic, Public, Special and National.
- Library Legislation and Library Acts in Indian States; The Press and Registration of Books Act; The Delivery of Books and Newspapers (Public Libraries) Act.
- Laws of Library Science.
- Library and Information Science Profession – Librarianship as a Profession, Professional Skills and Competences; Professional Ethics.
- Professional Associations – National – ILA, IASLIC, IATLIS; International – IFLA, ALA, CILIP, ASLIB, SLA; Role of UGC, RRRLF and UNESCO in Promotion and Development of Libraries.
- Library and Information Science Education in India.
- Library Public Relations and Extension Activities.
- Type of Users – User Studies, User Education.
- Information Literacy – Areas, Standards, Types and Models; Trends in Information Literacy.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – III
- Information Sources – Nature, Characteristics, Types and Formats.
- Sources of Information – Primary, Secondary and Tertiary; Documentary and Non-Documentary.
- Primary Information Sources (Print and Electronic) – Journals, Conference Proceedings, Patents, Standards, Theses & Dissertations, Trade Literature.
- Secondary Information Sources (Print and Electronic) – Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, Bibliographies, Indexing & Abstracting, Statistical sources, Handbooks and Manuals.
- Tertiary Information Sources (Print and Electronic)- Directories, Year Books, Almanacs.
- Reference Sources – Bibliographical, Biographical, Educational, Language and Geographical.
- Electronic Information Resources – Subject Gateways, Web Portals, Bulletin Boards, Discussion Forums /Groups.
- Databases: Bibliographic, Numeric, Full text, Multimedia; Open Access Databases.
- Institutional and Human Resources.
- Evaluation of Reference Sources and Web Resources.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – IV
- Community Information Services.
- Reference Service – Concept and Types; Referral Services
- Alerting Services – CAS, SDI, Inter Library Loan and Document Delivery.
- Mobile based Library Services and Tools – Mobile OPAC, Mobile Databases, Mobile Library Website, Library Apps, Mobile Library Instructions, Augmented Reality, SMS Alerts, Geo-Location, Reference Enquiry.
- Web 2.0 and 3.0 – Library 2.0- Concept, Characteristics, Components; Instant Messaging, RSS Feeds, Podcasts, Vodcasts, Ask a Librarian
- Collaborative Services– Social Networks, Academics Social Networks, Social Tagging, Social Bookmarking.
- Web – Scale Discovery Services
- National Information Systems and Networks: NISCAIR, DESIDOC, SENDOC, ENVIS, INFLIBNET, DELNET, NICNET, ERNET, National Knowledge Network (NKN), Biotechnology Information System Network
- International Information Systems and Networks: INIS, AGRIS, INSPEC, MEDLARS, BIOSIS, ERIC, Patent Information System (PIS), Biotechnology Information System (BIS).
- Library Resource Sharing and Library Consortia – National and International
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – V
- Universe of Knowledge – Nature and Attributes; Modes of Formation of Subjects.
- Knowledge Organisation – Classification – Theories, Cannons, and Principles; Simple Knowledge Organisation System (SKOS), Taxonomies, Folksonomy, Trends in Classification.
- Mapping of Subjects in Library Classification Schemes – DDC, UDC and CC.
- Knowledge Organisation: Cataloguing – Cannons and Principles; Centralized and Co-operative Catalogue; Library Cataloguing Codes: CCC and AACR – II.
- Standards of Bibliographic Record Formats and Description – ISBD, MARC 21, CCF, RDA, FRBR, Bibframe.
- Standards for Bibliographic Information Interchange & Communication – ISO 2709, Z39.50, Z39.71.
- Metadata Standards: Dublin Core; MARC21, METS, MODES, EAD.
- Indexing Systems and Techniques: Assigned – Pre-coordinate; Post-Coordinate; Derived- Title-based; Vocabulary Control.
- Abstracting – Types and Guidelines.
- Information Retrieval System – Features, Components, Models and Evaluation.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – VI
- Management – Principles, Functions and Schools of thought.
- Library and Information Centers Management – Book Selection Tools and Principles; Library Acquisition, Technical Processing, Circulation, Serial Control, Maintenance and Stock Verification; Preservation and Conservation; Hazards and Control Measures of Library Materials.
- Human Resource Management – Planning, Job Analysis, Job Description, Job Evaluation, Selection, Recruitment, Motivation, Training and Development, Performance Appraisal; Staff Manual.
- Financial Management in Libraries – Sources of Finance, Resource Mobilisation, Budgeting Methods; Cost Effective and Cost Benefit Analysis, Annual Reports & Statistics; Library Authority and Committee.
- Project Management – SWOT, PEST, PERT / CPM.
- Total Quality Management (TQM) – Concepts, Principles and Techniques, Six Sigma; Evaluation of Services of Libraries and Information Centers.
- Library Building, Furniture and Equipments; Green Library Building; Information Commons; Makers Space; Security and Safety.
- Management Information System (MIS), MBO, Change Management, Disaster Management, Crisis Management.
- Knowledge Management – Principles, Tools, Components and Architecture.
- Marketing of Library Products and Services – Plan, Research, Strategies, Mix, Segmentation, Pricing and Advertising; Management Consultancy
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – VII
- Computer Technology – Character Representation (ASCII, ISCII, Unicode); Computer Hardware, Software; Storage Devices; Input and Output Devices.
- Types of Software – System Software, Application Software.
- Programming Languages – Object Oriented, Procedural, High Level, Scripting; Web Languages.
- Telecommunication – Transmission Channels, Mode, and Media, ISDN, PSDN, Multiplexing, Modulation, Standards and Protocols.
- Wireless Communication – Media, Wi-fi, Li-fi, Satellite Communication, Mobile Communication.
- Computer Networks – Topologies, Types of Networks – LAN, MAN, WAN.
- Internet – Web browsers, WWW, E-mail; Search Engines, Meta and Entity Search engines.
- Internet Protocols and Standards – HTTP, SHTTP, FTP, SMTP, TCP/IP, URI, URL.
- Hypertext, Hypermedia, Multimedia, Video conferencing, Virtual Reality, Augmented Technologies.
- Data Security, Network Security, Firewalls, Cryptographic Techniques, Anti-virus software, Anti-spyware, Intrusion Detection System.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – VIII
- Library Automation – Areas, Planning, Selection of Hardware and Software, Implementation and Evaluation; Standards for Library Automation.
- Barcode, RFID, QR Code, Biometric, Smartcard: Features and Applications.
- Digitization – Planning, Selection of Materials, Hardware, Software, Process, Issues.
- Digital Library: Genesis, Characteristics, Types, Architecture; Standards, Formats and Protocols, DOI.
- Digital Preservation – Need, Purpose, Standards, Methods, Techniques, Projects (National and International).
- Digital Library Initiatives – National and International.
- Institutional Repositories – Need, Purpose, Types and Tools; Institutional Repositories in India; ROAR, DOAR, SHARPA-ROMIO.
- Content Management Systems – Architecture, Data Integration, CMS Software – Selection, Implementation and Evaluation.
- Application of Artificial Intelligence, Expert Systems and Robotics in Libraries; Social Mobile Analytics Cloud (SMAC); Cloud Computing.
- Ontology – Tools (RDF, RDFS, Potege); Semantic Web, Linked Data, Big Data, Data Mining, Data Harvesting.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit – IX
- Research – Concept, Purpose, Functions, Scope and Ethics; Types of Research – Basic and Applied, Interdisciplinary and Multidisciplinary.
- Research Methods: Historical, Descriptive, Experimental and Delphi.
- Research Design – Selection of Research Problem, Review of Literature; Formulation of Research Problem; Hypothesis – Formulation, Types and Testing; Sampling Techniques.
- Methods of Data Collection: Questionnaire, Interview, Observation, Library Records, Scales and Checklist.
- Data Analysis and Interpretation – Presentation of Data; Statistical Methods/ Techniques.
- Statistical Packages – Spreadsheet, SPSS, Bibexcel, ‘R’ Statistics.
- Research Report Writing and Citation Tools – Structure, Style, Contents, Guidelines; Style Manuals; Online Citation Tools; Reference Style Management Tools; Anti-plagiarism Tools; Evaluation of Research Report.
- Metric Studies in LIS – Bibliometrics, Scientometric, Webometrics, Altmetrics;
- Impact Factors – Journal, Institutional and Authors; h-Index, g-Index, i10 Index.
- Trends in Library and Information Science Research.
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Unit –X
- Academic Library and Information System.
- Public Library and Information System.
- Special Library and Information System.
- Health Science Library and Information System.
- Corporate Library and Information System.
- Agricultural Library and Information System.
- Engineering and Technological Library and Information System.
- Archive, Museums and Oriental Libraries.
- Community Information System.
- Information Services and System for Persons with Disability, Children and Women
UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus For Paper II 2023 In Hindi
Here you can check some important topics of the UGC NET Syllabus For Library and Information Science Paper-II 22 In Hindi.
Here you can check the latest NTA NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023 for Paper II in Hindi Medium:
UGC NET Library and Information Science Old Syllabus
The UGC NET examination old syllabus which was applicable till December 2018 can be downloaded in pdf format from the following link.
Kindly note that this syllabus is considered outdated and is now not applicable for the upcoming UGC NET examination in Library and Information Science.
You can use it only for your reference purpose.
Other Important Study Materials for UGC NET Library and Information Science
You should have the following study materials to boost your exam preparation for the NTA UGC NET Library and Information Science Exam.
- UGC NET Library and Information Science answer key 2023
- UGC NET Library and Information Science Books 2023
- UGC NET Library and Information Science Previous Year Question Papers With Solutions
- UGC NET Eligibility Criteria
- UGC NET Exam Pattern
- UGC NET Mock Test
- UGC NET Cut off
- UGC NET Preparation Tips
UGC NET Library and Information Science Exam Pattern 2023
UGC NET Library and Information Science Exam have two papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Here you can know the facts about UGC NET Library and Information Science Exam 2023
|Particulars||UGC NET Paper-I Overview||
UGC NET Paper-II Overview
|Exam duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Type of paper||Common for all candidates||Subject-specific questions|
|Type of questions||MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option||
MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option
|Marking scheme||2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
|Language of paper||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
Important Points About UGC NET Library and Information Science Exam Pattern:
- The Test will have two papers. Both papers will consist of objective-type, multiple-choice questions.
- There will be no break between papers.
- you will get 2 marks for each correct response,
- There is no negative marking for an incorrect response.
- No marks will be given for questions Unanswered.
- If a question is found to be incorrect/ambiguous during the critical challenge, only those candidates who have attempted the question and chosen one of the correct answers would be given credit. Only for dropped question(s), if any, marks will be given to all the candidates.
Benefits Of Latest NTA UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023
For any preparation to be successful, knowing the syllabus and exam pattern is essential. You can definitely score more with the proper use of the UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus.
Some notable benefits from the new UGC NET Library and Information Science 22 Syllabus are as below:
- NTA UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus cover all topics that are important for the examinations.
- NTA UGC NET Syllabus for Library and Information Science also mentions the weightage allotted to different units and chapters, knowing which you may form a strategy for preparing for chapters with high or low weightage.
- The question paper format is also explained in the syllabus.
- Having a clear understanding of your syllabus and the weightage of various sections will definitely help you decide how much time you should dedicate to each section.
- Generally, the exam papers for each course are designed as per the syllabus prescribed for that course.
- So, preparing according to the topic and instructions mentioned in the syllabus obviously helps to crack the exam with good scores.
We have covered the detailed guide on NTA UGC NET Library and Information Science Syllabus 2023. Feel free to ask us any questions in the comment section below.