UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023: NTA Conducts the UGC NET Exam twice a year. The exam is organized to find suitable applicants for the post of JRF and Assistant professor.
Before filling out the online application form for UGC NET, you must know the UGC NET eligibility criteria. Make sure that you have met all essential criteria. If you have not met the NTA eligibility criteria, then you can be disqualified at a later stage of the examination.
Here in this article, we have covered a detailed guide on NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2021.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 22
UGC NET 2023 notification is released by National Testing Agency (NTA). Along with the notification, NTA releases the UGC NET Online application form 22. The eligibility criteria include factors like age limit, educational qualification, etc.
Before starting a complete guide on UGC NET Eligibility Criteria, you should have an overview of the exam.
UGC NET 2023 Exam Overview
Here you can check the UGC NET exam overview:
|Exam Name||University Grants Commission National Eligibility Test (UGC NET)|
|Conducting Body||National Test Agency (NTA)|
|Exam Mode||Computer Based Test (CBT)|
|Exam Duration||3 hours|
UGC NET Educational Qualifications 22
It is one of the essential UGC NET Eligibility Criteria. You must have the educational qualifications given below before applying for UGC NET:
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For General Candidates:
- You must have scored a minimum of 55% marks in post-graduation (master’s degree) in the concerned subject or any equivalent exam from UGC recognized institute or university.
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For Other Category Candidates:
- A Candidate belongs to the Non-creamy layer, or, Scheduled Caste (SC), or, Scheduled Tribe (ST), or, Persons with disability (PwD) and who has scored a minimum of 50% marks in post-graduation (master’s degree) in the concerned subject or any equivalent exam from UGC recognized institute or university can appear for this exam.
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For Final Year Students:
- Candidates who are pursuing their post-graduation course or who have appeared for the exam of their qualifying PG course & are awaiting the result are eligible to apply for this exam.
- However, only provisional allotment will be granted to such candidates and eligibility for Assistant Professor or the JRF will be granted to such candidates only when they have completed their post-graduation course with the required eligibility criteria.
- The course must be completed within a time duration of 2 years from the NET result date.
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For the Transgender Students:
- Candidates would be eligible to draw the same relaxation in fee, age, and qualifying criteria for NET (for both Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professor) as available to SC/ST/PwD categories.
- The subject-wise cut-offs for this category should be the lowest among SC/ST/PwD/OBC–NCL categories in their relevant subject.
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For PhD. Degree holders:
- PhD degree holders whose Master’s level examination has been completed by 19th September 1991 (irrespective of the date of declaration of result) are eligible for a relaxation of 5% in aggregate marks (i.e. from 55% to 50% for General Candidates).
NTA UGC NET Educational Qualifications For Foreign Students:
Candidates having any of the following degrees/certificates:
- Post-graduate diploma certificate awarded by Indian University Institute or,
- Foreign degree/diploma certificates awarded by the foreign University/Institute should be in their own interest.
- Ascertain the equivalence of their diploma/degree/certificate with a Master’s degree from a recognized Indian university from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU), New Delhi.
Important Note Related To UGC NET Eligibility Criteria:
- No hard copies or proof of any certificates/ documents are required to submit to the National Testing Agency in support of eligibility.
- The NTA does not verify applications submitted by the candidates. Therefore, the candidature will be completely provisional for the eligibility criteria.
- NTA or UGC may declare the candidature null at any stage if the eligibility criteria are not met, and legal actions might be taken against the applicants.
UGC NET Age Limit & Relaxation 22
You can check the NTA UGC NET age limit for the 2021 exam below.
- Age Limit For Junior Research Fellow: Candidates should not be more than 30 years as of June 1, 2021.
- Age Limit For Assistant Professor: There is no upper age limit to apply for Assistant Professor.
UGC NET Age Relaxation 22
UGC NET 2021 Age Relaxation for Junior Research Fellowship and Assistant Professorship are given below:
|Category||Age Relaxation (in years)|
|Females of all categories||5|
|Candidates holding LLM degree||3|
|Candidates in the armed forces||5|
Age Relaxation For Junior Research Fellow:
- Any Candidate from OBC-NC, SC, ST, PwD categories, Transgenders, and women is getting relaxation of up to 5 years.
- Any candidate having research experience will also be provided age relaxation equivalent to the years/ period spent on research in the respective subject or Post Graduation Degree.
- Researchers will be able to get relaxation for up to 5 years only after providing a certificate from the appropriate authority.
- Any candidate with L.L.M. Degree will be allowed an upper age relaxation of 3 years.
- Any candidate who has served in the armed forces will get a relaxation of up to 5 years subject to the length of service in the armed forces up to June 1, 2021.
- Total age relaxation on the above ground(s) shall not exceed five years under any circumstances.
Age Relaxation For Assistant Professor:
- There is no age bar to apply for Assistant Professor. So no need for age relaxation in this case.
UGC NET Eligibility Criteria Exemption for Assistant Professor
Here you can check the special exemption for Assistant Professor Post
NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria Exemption For NET/SLET/SET Candidates
- NET/SET/SLET shall remain the minimum eligibility condition for recruitment and appointment of Assistant Professors in Universities/Colleges/ Institutions.
- In this regard, exemption from NET/SET/SLET will be governed by UGC regulations and amendments notified in the Gazette of India from time to time.
NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria Exemption For UGC/CSIR JRF Candidates
- If you have passed the UGC/CSIR/JRF examination prior to 1989 are also exempted from appearing in NET.
NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria Exemption For SET Candidates
- The candidates who have cleared the State Eligibility Test (SET) accredited by UGC for eligibility for Assistant Professor held prior to 1st June 2002, are exempted from appearing in NET, being eligible to apply for Assistant Professor anywhere in India. For SET held from 1st June 2002 onwards, the qualified candidates are eligible to apply for the post of Assistant Professor only in the universities/ colleges situated in the state from where they have cleared their SET.
Other Important Study Materials for UGC NET Exam
You should have the following study materials to boost your exam preparation for the NTA UGC NET exam.
Click on the link to access other study materials related to the UGC NET exam.
We have covered a detailed guide On NTA UGC NET Eligibility Criteria 2023. Feel free to ask us any questions in the comment section below.