To prepare for the Defence and Strategic Studies NET exam, you must know the complete NTA UGC NET Syllabus 2022 for Defence and Strategic Studies.
Here we have provided the latest UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus 2022 in Hindi and English.
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus 2022
National Testing Agency (NTA) releases the UGC NET syllabus along with the latest notification.
However, since the UGC NET syllabus for both paper-I and -II was revised by NTA in June 2019, no changes are likely to be made to this year's NET syllabus.
The subject code for UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam is 11. It comprises two online papers namely Paper-I & Paper-II with Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ)s.
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Paper 1 Syllabus tests teaching and reasoning ability, research aptitude, comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness.
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Paper 2 Syllabus is based on Defence and Strategic Studies. It tests your depth of knowledge and expertise in the respective subject.
To crack the NET exam, you must know the syllabus for both the papers and mark the important topics & sub-topics to start your preparation.
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus for Paper I 2022
UGC NET Syllabus for Defence and Strategic Studies Paper I tests the reasoning ability, reading comprehension, divergent thinking, and general awareness of the candidate.
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Paper I syllabus will have 50 questions worth 100 marks. Paper I syllabus has 10 units, and precisely 5 questions will be asked from each unit.
Go through the exam pattern of the UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Paper 1 syllabus mentioned below:
|Part I: Teaching Aptitude||5||10|
|Part II: Research Aptitude||5||10|
|Part III: Reading Comprehension||5||10|
|Part IV: Communication||5||10|
|Part V: Reasoning (including Maths)||5||10|
|Part VI: Logical Reasoning||5||10|
|Part VII: Data Interpretation||5||10|
|Part VIII: Information & Communication Technology (ICT)||5||10|
|Part IX: People & Environment||5||10|
|Part X: Higher Education System: Governance, Polity & Administration||5||10|
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus For Paper II 2022 In English
Here you can check the latest UGC NET Syllabus For Defence and Strategic Studies Paper-II 2022 for English Medium.
Unit I: Theories And Concepts
- Defence and Strategic Studies : Assumptions and Approaches.
- The Concepts of Nation:
- State and Nation – State, Theories and Elements of State
- National Power and its Components
- Key Concepts of National Security: Defining National Security, National Defence and National Interest, National Character and Evolution-of the National Security concept in the 20th Century and Beyond.
- National Security Concerns of Major Powers, Middle Powers and Small Powers
- National Security Structures: Armed Forces, Intelligence Agencies, Police Forces, Decision-Making Structures, etc.
- National Security Environment: Internal and External
- Defence, Foreign, Security and Domestic Policies; Concept formulation, objectives and linkages.
- Military Alliances and Pacts, Peace Treaties, Defence Cooperation, Strategic Partnership and Security Dialogue.
- Non – Alignment, Balance of Power, Collective Security and Balance of Terror – Concept, Development and Relevance.
- Deterrence and Détente: Concept and contemporary relevance.
Unit II: Strategic Thought
- Contribution of Sun Tzu,
- Carl von Clausewitz, 6. General Giulio Douhet
- B.H.Liddell Hart,
- Marx, Lenin, Mao Zedong and Che Guevara.
- Nuclear Deterrence: Andre Beaufre, Henry Kissinger and K. Subrahmanyam.
- Thoughts of Gandhi and Nehru on Peace, Security and Development.
Unit III: War As An Instrument In International Relations
- Theories and causes of War.
- Principles of War.
- Contemporary Warfare : Conventional Warfare in Nuclear age, Limited War, Revolutionary Warfare, Low Intensity Operations, Guerilla Warfare, Insurgency and Counter – Insurgency.
- Armaments : Arms Race, Arms Aid, Arms Trade, Arms Proliferation, Proliferation of Small Arms
- Military Alliances and Pacts, Peace Treaties, Defence Cooperation, Strategic Partnership and Security Dialogue.
- Terrorism : Concept and kinds (National, International and Cross border).
- Conflicting Ideologies : Militarism, Nationalism, Fundamentalism, Separatism, Irredentism.
- Concept and Elements of Deterrence: Nuclear & Conventional.
- Evolution of Global Nuclear Doctrines
- Democratic Peace Theory
Unit IV: WMD, Nuclear Proliferation And National Security
- Basic Concepts and Theory
- Concepts of Disarmament & Arms Control
- Objectives and Conditions of Disarmament
- Elements of Arms Control Mechanisms: Agreements, verification, inspection, control.
- Approaches to Disarmament & Arms Control
- Historical Survey of Disarmament Efforts:
- Under the League of Nations
- Under the United Nations
- Unilateral, Bilateral and Multilateral approaches
- Role of Non-aligned Nations in Disarmament Negotiations
- Weapons of Mass Destruction: Nuclear, Chemical & Biological Weapons.
- Nuclear Arms Limitation Nuclear Arms Control Treaties.
- Chemical weapons Convention and Biological Weapons Convention
- Concept of Non-proliferation, NPT, CTBT, PTBT MTCR FMCT, & other treaties
- Nuclear Export Control Regimes
- New Challenges and Responses – Missile Defense, Cooperative Threat Reduction and G-7 Global Partnership
- Disarmament & Arms Control and Economic Development
- Terrorism and Nuclear Proliferation.
- Concept of Star Wars and NMD
Unit V: Global Security Concerns
- End of cold war and emergence of new world order.
- Proliferation of Military, Nuclear and missile capabilities
- Environmental Issues : climate change and Global Warming, Desertification, Acid Rains, Industrial Pollution, Deforestation
- Organized Crimes : Money Laundering, Narco – trafficking , Human Trafficking and small arms proliferation.
- Migrants and Refugees:
- Illegal migration and border management
- Problem in South Asia
- Role of International Committee of Red Cross and UN High Commission for Refugees.
- Global Security Concerns: Palestinian-Israeli conflict & Arab Spring, Developments in Central Asian Republics (CARs), Rise of Fundamentalism, Challenges in Korean Peninsula, Taiwan and Power Rivalry in South China Sea.
- Problem of System of Governance and Human Rights
- Food Security, Energy Security and Water Security problems in modern era.
- Millennium Development Goals.
Unit VI: India’s Security Concerns & Policies In Contemporary International Scenario
- Genesis of Sino-Indian Relations
- The Boundary Dispute, Sino- Pakistan Nexus, OBOR and CPEC, China and India- Military Balance, Chinese Policy towards South Asia
- Rise of India and China: Cooperation and Competition, Chinese Interests in Indian Ocean and South China Sea
- Strategic Dimension of India- Pakistan Relations: Genesis of India-Pakistan Conflict, Indo-Pak Military balance, The Kashmir Question, Pakistan Sponsored Terrorism, Pakistan’s Nuclear Strategy, The Powers Structure of Pakistan, Contentious. Issues: Siachin, Sir Creek, River Waters, etc.
- India and South Asia: Issues and Challenges for Regional Cooperation.
- Making of India’s Defence Policy since Independence:
- Threat perception, assessment and preparedness
- Political and military lessons of 1948, 1962, 1965, 1971, 1999 wars
- Future trends
- India’s Look East and Act East Policies, Indo- Pacific Cooperation, Strategic Partnerships.
- India’s maritime security and strategy in 21st century:
- Indian Ocean
- Asia-Pacific region
- Security of Sea Lanes, India’s Maritime Strategy for the 21st Century.
- India’s Defence Doctrines and Strategies including Nuclear Doctrine
- Higher Defence Organization of India.
Unit VII: Issues In Conflict Resolution
- Origin, Type and Structure of Conflict.
- Ideologies and International conflicts.
- Role of United Nations in Conflict Management and Re – Structuring of UNO
- Techniques of Conflict Prevention
- Conflict Management : Pacific Solutions of International Disputes, Coercive methods.
- International Humanitarian Laws and Laws of Armed Conflicts.
- Confidence Building Measures : Concept, kinds and utility.
- IGOs & NGOs in Conflict Resolution: Peace Making, Peace Keeping and Peace Building.
- Gandhian Philosophy on Peace and Non-violence
- Nehruvian approach to National Security and Cooperation
Unit VIII: Disaster Management And National Security
- Basic Concept & meaning of Disaster, Introduction to terminologies associated with Disaster and National Security: Natural and Manmade, Vulnerability, Risk etc., Identifying various types of Disasters.
- Natural Disaster and Human Induced Disaster: Floods, Cyclone, Earthquake, Tsunami – WMD Disaster – Disaster associated with various industries
- Study of Disaster in India / Around the World: Case Studies: Tsunami 2004, Bhopal Gas Tragedy, Chernobyl, Fukushima, Uttarakhand etc.
- Disaster Management : Meaning, Association and Distinction with related concepts like Disaster Mitigation, Response, and Recovery, Relief, and Reconstruction
- Institutional Mechanism for Disaster Management in India: Role of Armed Forces, Central and State Governments, NGO, National Disaster Management Authority, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services.
Unit IX: Defence Economics
- Economic Theories of Defence.
- Sustainable Development: Challenges & Responses.
- Basics of Defence Planning, Determinants of Defence Expenditure.
- Defence Budgeting.
- Economic Causes of War.
- Economic Warfare in modem times.
- Economic Problems of Post War reconstruction.
- National Security and International Trade regimes (WTO, TRIPS, TRIMS, FTA’s NAFTA, SAPTA, & NSG).
- India’s role in Regional and Global Economic Forums and Organizations.
- Geo-economics and its Implications for global/regional economic stability
Unit X: Science & Technology And National Security
- Broad Survey of Technological Changes from Industrial Revolution to Information Revolution.
- India’s Civil Nuclear and Space Programs, India’s Energy Scenario.
- Research and Development:
- Relevance of Science and Technology in National Security.
- Impact of Information Technology; Revolution in Military Affairs (RMA).
- Choice of Weapon Systems.
- Impact of Economic Liberalization and Globalization :
- Defence Production in India ( Role of DPSU’s and Ordnance factories ).
- Defence and Development and Peace & Development Dichotomies.
- Issues of Mobilization of Resources during War and Peace.
- Military Industrial Complexes.
- Transfer of Technology : Dual use and critical technologies and their impact on national security.
- Interdependence and Cooperation at Regional and Global levels.
- Cyber Security : Vulnerabilities of Information technology and internet, Need and importance of cyber security, Different kinds of cyber security vulnerabilities, Cyber wars including propaganda, measures for cyber security- Technology, laws and regulations, global issues in cyber security.
- Social Media and its Impact on National Security- Global reach with rapid speed for propaganda and indoctrinate misinformation and rumour mongering cadre recruitment and use of social networking sites for mobilizing public opinion.
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus For Paper II 2022 In Hindi
Here you can check some important topics of the UGC NET Syllabus For Defence and Strategic Studies Paper-II 2022 In Hindi.
Here you can check the latest NTA NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus 2022 for Paper II in Hindi Medium:
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Old Syllabus
The UGC NET examination old syllabus which was applicable till December 2018 can be downloaded in pdf format from the following link.
Kindly note that this syllabus is considered outdated and is now not applicable for the upcoming UGC NET examination in Defence and Strategic Studies.
You can use it only for your reference purpose.
Other Important Study Materials for UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies
You should have the following study materials to boost your exam preparation for the NTA UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam.
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Answer Key
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Books 2022
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Previous Year Question Papers With Solutions
- UGC NET Cut off
- UGC NET Mock Test
- UGC NET Preparation Tips
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam Pattern 2022
UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam have two papers, i.e., Paper 1 and Paper 2.
Here you can know the facts about UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam 2022
|Particulars||UGC NET Paper-I Overview||
UGC NET Paper-II Overview
|Exam duration||3 hours (180 minutes)|
|Type of paper||Common for all candidates||Subject-specific questions|
|Type of questions||MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option||
MCQs; 4 options with only 1 correct option
|Marking scheme||2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
2 marks for the correct answer
0 for an incorrect answer
|Language of paper||English and Hindi||English and Hindi|
Important Points About UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Exam Pattern:
- The Test will have two papers. Both the papers will consist of objective-type, multiple-choice questions.
- There will be no break between papers.
- you will get 2 marks for each correct response,
- There is no negative marking for an incorrect response.
- No marks will be given for questions Unanswered.
- If a question is found to be incorrect/ambiguous during the critical challenge, only those candidates who have attempted the question and chosen one of the correct answers would be given credit. Only for dropped question(s), if any, marks will be given to all the candidates.
Benefits Of Latest UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus 2022
For any preparation to be successful, knowing the syllabus and exam pattern is essential. You can definitely score more with the proper use of the UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus.
Some notable benefits from the new UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies 2022 Syllabus are as below:
- UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus covers all topics that are important for the examinations.
- UGC NET Syllabus for Defence and Strategic Studies also mentions the weightage allotted to different units and chapters, knowing which you may form a strategy for preparing for chapters with high or low weightage.
- Question paper format is also explained in a syllabus.
- Having a clear understanding of your syllabus and the weightage to various sections will definitely help you decide how much time you should dedicate to each section.
- Generally, the exam papers for each course are designed as per the syllabus prescribed for that course.
- So, preparing according to the topic and instructions mentioned in the syllabus obviously helps to crack the exam with good scores.
We have covered the detailed guide on NTA UGC NET Defence and Strategic Studies Syllabus 2022. Feel free to ask us any questions in the comment section below.